Thursday, December 29, 2011

Today we learned Mr. Roopert is VERY fertile...

Yes a very odd topic, however I find this interesting.
My rooster Mr. Roopert
Is the head of my "big bird" flock as I call it. At the moment it is "winter" minus the snow *grumble...* so my hens are not laying to well. HOWEVER! Nugget is laying just fine! She is my Golden laced wyandotte.
SO! With my egg incubator running, I decided to put one of her egg's in it. Before my hatching eggs arrived...
So like a trooper I took the egg out and hid it from my eagle eyed mother who was CONVINCED I had to hatch just the one egg.
Ah no...
So for two days I had a "fake" egg in the incubator. An egg that had been in the fridge since November...
Now...with everything I have been reading, it says that eggs that have been sitting for that long should not be fertile normally...
I was just proven wrong...
For giggles we cracked open the "fake" egg, expecting a fowl smelly stink bomb, and found instead blood vessels from a starting to grow chick...O_O Uh...well, *cough* that is some very potent sperm you have Mr. Roopert, congrats, when this chick from this current egg hatches, I will personally let it grow up whether it be male or female.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment