Friday, September 28, 2012

About to say screw it...

I dont understand...Not at all.
How a farmer who does nothing for his birds, does not test, give shots, does not feed them except in winter...How a farmer who lives right next door can hatch out his chicks under his hens without a problem and get 25-30 each time, who vists farms and does not bring anything back to his flock and then points it out every time he sees me...
Yet me, when i wanted to have some birds and show them, when I want to hatch them out and raise them, they just die or dont hatch.
I did the testing, I got NPIP certified, I got the best birds I could find...Beautiful, silkie hens from Mountain top Silkies, two of them. Two beautiful show birds...And then my Silkie roo scalped them and then the last one died after she fell of the ramp.
Wry neck, Merrick's, worms...and then Mg. I did what I was told to do, culled my flock and placed my birds until i had gone from having 32 to 8...
I started vaccinating, I started doing research, and yet still I cant seem to keep anything past the age of six months. I did what i had to to have healthy birds, stick to hatching eggs I was told...Now I cant even get a batch to so much as hatch for me, and the incubators are not only brand new, but they have been  disinfected before each use.
Yet my neighbor, who does nothing but let his birds run wild and not touch them unless hes going to eat them...Just hatched out 15 chicks under his hens...
Who ever said chickens are easy to raise, are rats with wings, should jump off cliffs...
Im almost ready to say screw everything, and just give up...

2 comments:

  1. Keep your chin up chick. I know what you mean, when you try so hard and it's one thing after another. Eventually it will stop and you will be so glad you didn't. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously hope so, because I am so tired of loosing birds; and I just cant stand not being able to hatch my own eggs and show them, and the raise them...That's why I wanted the chickens! And now I cant even do that! Ugh...Im going to try again, and hopefully next year, things will be better.

      Delete