Saturday, September 15, 2012

Gape worm, leg injury's and possibly Merrick's...

You know, when I first made this blog I expected to be posting about my hens running in the backyard pecking, or how cute they looked scratching in the garden...
I have lost my entire flock so far this year, and in my attempts to rectify the MG situation I have had Vent gleet, a deadly number of Mites that actually killed one of my birds, Merrick's, a leg injury that we are hoping is not Merrick's, and gape worm...
I am currently sitting with my little Japanese bantam cross boy Tod
Who I dont believe will make it to tomorrow...
The Vet thought he had gape worm, which is a parasite that clings to the side of the throat and slowly suffocates them. I had to de-worm him once every three days four times...
He is not getting any better, and now the threat of yet another horrible infectious virus contaminating my flock hangs heavily in the air...
And to top it off my prized Okiki rooster, who I have named Mr. Pippin, has either injured his leg or has a slow acting strand of Merrick's...
He is not using the one leg, and has been clicking his beak at me every time I touch it.
However...I brought him to the vet and they said to wait another week...If he does not improve then he has Merrick's, and if he does improve then that would be fantastic.
If it is Merrick's then I have no clue where it came from at all, an this will be the second bird I lost due to the virus. Worst of all there is no cure, and there is only one vaccination that does not prevent the type of Merrick's my flock has been getting.
...I will continue to move forward with my birds, and keep trying to raise them.
However, if one more person laughs, or mocks my misfortune I swear I will blow a gasket and fling something at there head and or heads...
Chickens are not rats with wings, they are not easy to raise, and they are not fun when they drop dead on you every day!!!
Grr...
Anyway thats my little rant, and my pity party attacked to it. i will let you all know if the two of them pull threw.

No comments:

Post a Comment