Saturday, October 6, 2012

Garden update

Well, so far the garden was a partial success.
We have bagged and blanched over twenty pounds of green beans and this year we have six butter nut squash, 15 pounds of onions, 49 bunches of garlic, and enough dried beans for two dinners.
However, our squash did not fare well, we lost our soybeans to a rabbit, our raspberry plants suffered a mold attack due to all of the rain...ugh.
Then the tomatoes got attacked by blight half way threw the season and so we lost them all to it. The fruit continued to grow, however the blight grew inside the tomato's and when you bit into them they looked fine but tasted like rotten, yuck!! Then the community garden, where we grew two plots, sadly did not work as well as we hoped :( The bugs were unbearable to the point that we were forced to use pesticides which we hate to do, then the weeds just kept coming and coming and coming...We got a few green-beans and   tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash out of it, but that was about it. Nothing to sell, and nothing to can :(
But, at least we have vegetables for the winter, and enough meals to hopefully last us long enough where we wont have to shop for a while :D
Next year we are going to have the gravel pit turned into a garden, and we will be able to rotate the tomatoes away from the blight areas so that they wont be effected! We will have to use deterrents on the community garden, and then since we took care of the rabbit we only have to deter the mole.
So cross your  fingers that everything will work out and that next year we will have a wicked harvest! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment